Blog channels
Subscribe to email newsletter
Newsletter about study in Holland.
Issued 1–2 times a week.
See archive.

Belgian immigration rules

Belgium 21 May 2010, 17:42

Here you can find a brief summary of the most essential Belgian immigration rules

map of belgium, belgium, belgian mapHere you can find a brief summary of the most essential Belgian immigration rules.

Work permits in Belgium

Belgian work permits are applied for by the employers and are valid for one specific employer only. In case if the employee changes the place of work, a new work permit will be required. The work permit type B, for highly qualified employees or executives, needs to be applied for by the employer or the mandatory of the employer (law firm) and is valid for a (renewable) period of one year.

Professional cards

If an expat is a self-employed, i.e. has his own business, a professional card is required instead of a work permit. In such case the professional card has the function of a work permit and a self-employed expat has to apply for it himself and submit his application to the Belgian consular authorities abroad. The professional card is valid for a renewable period of 2 years. However, there are situations whereby an expat would need both a work permit and a professional card.

Belgian visa & Residency

Migration documents required in Belgium include: a work permit (or professional card); a residence visa (if an expat is not exempted from this requirement) issued in the Belgian embassy in the country of residence and a Belgian residence card issued by local communal authorities.

Unlimited stay

Currently an unlimited stay is in any case granted to the expats who have been working for at least 5 years on the basis of a valid work permit or professional card in Belgium. The unlimited stay allows expats to work in Belgium without a work permit or professional card. This rule can be changed any time.

Free movement within the EU

Until now there is no coordinated EU migration policy on knowledge immigration. Each country has its own set of rules with respect to the immigration of knowledge workers with different conditions and processes. Note however that within the framework of the free movement of services in the EU, under certain conditions, it is possible for an employer established within the EU to second/assign a non-EU employee to another EU country without having to apply for a new work permit in the host country. (adapted from Matthias Lommers) Source: Expatica

Do you like this page? Thank you for the vote! 13 11
Rating: 5.4 / 10 (votes: 24)

Comments (0) Comment the article

Comment the article
Please fill in your name
This email is incorrect
Please write something